Katalon Studio Tutorial -- Create First Test Case (Record & Replay)
Katalon Studio is a comprehensive toolset for web and mobile app automation testing. This tool includes a full package of powerful features that help overcome common challenges in web UI test automation, for example, pop-up, iFrame, and wait-time. This user-friendly and versatile solution help testers test better, work faster, and launch high quality software thank to the intelligence it provides to the entire test automation process.
How to create & run test in Katalon Studio
Step 1 - Download & Open Katalon Studio
- Download Katalon Studio from here.
- You have to Sign up in order to download Katalon Studio
- After downloading, open katalon.exe (create desktop shortcut for future)
- Click on New Project and give name to the project
- Click on OK
Step 2 - Create Test Case
- After the project is created, click on the "+" button & select Test Case
- Give name to the test case and click OK
- A window like this will be created(Test Case window)
Step 3 - Record Browsing
- We can write test cases manually but for lazy people like me, I will use Record & Replay feature to write cases
- In the above image Click on the Record Web button
- We will test Login functionality of a website, Lets take a sample Login website http://testing-ground.scraping.pro/login
- This website is designed for testing purpose. To check login functionality we will use Invalid username & password && Valid username & password
- After clicking on the Record web button a window like this will show up
- Paste the url here
- Click on the 'Chrome' logo to start recording, you can select other browsers too.
- A new window of Chrome will be opened automatically & you can see a text "Chrome is being controlled by automated test software"
- Whatever we do in this window will be recorded in the web recorder
- We tried with invalid username & password first and saw 'ACCESS DENIED'
- Then we tried with valid username & password and saw 'WELCOME :)'
- Now close the browser window and in the web recorder window click OK
Step 4 - Add Validation & Add objects to Object Repository
- After clicking OK a window will pop up showing this
- Save the recorded elements in a new folder for ease of use
- The test scenarios will be generated from the recording
- In the editor table add a validation item to verify the test
- Here we will use 'Verify Element Present' for both the scenarios i.e. for invalid & valid inputs
- Double click in the object field and select the object element to verify
- In my case , for invalid inputs I want to validate "ACCESS DENIED" & for valid input I want to validate "WELCOME)"
- After adding validations our final test case for Login functionality will look this(below).
- Use separate test cases for valid & invalid inputs. I have shown them under one test case just to show the results
Step 5 - Save & Run the test
- Click on the 'save as' button & save the test case
- In case you want to verify the test case you have an option to 'Run' the test in different browsers.
- You can select browsers (Chrome, Firefox,Safari)
- Clicking on Run will open a browser window automatically and replay the recorded actions along with the validation elements we have entered manually.
- In the log viewer we can all the logs along with their status(Passed, Failed, Warnings, Errors etc)
- There was no error in my case, so I just filtered out the passed actions & there I can see that both our validation elements have passed the test
In this way we can create test cases, record actions and validate functionality of particular actions. There are more methods of creating test case scenarios and will be covered in separate articles.
Thank you for reading
Does anybody have experience using systems like that and could provided advantages and disadvantages of this approach comparing to writing test automation using selenium?
I know the difference of Katalon and Selenium is that Katalon is a keyword-based type of automation testing tool when creating test scripts while Selenium is much more of a code-based. Katalon also is User-friendly in terms of interface than Selenium.
Tried both of them and Katalon is much easier than Selenium.
But in terms of recording, they are almost the same.
The difference is obvious from a first look :) We just want to understand the benefits from using Katalon.
May be the question should be like that:
What do you prefer for test automation - Selenium Webdriver or Katalon Studio? Why?
In 90% cases selenium is used and there are areas where people do not even properly know about katalon. This is a big reason selenium is preferred by most. Moreover there are particular training sessions provided for selenium. These two can be compared when an individual knows both selenium and katalon.